A Guide To Medical Alert Systems For Seniors
Not everyone needs a medical alert system in the home. For some the risks are minimum enough that they do not warrant the expense. At least they don’t merit the expense at the present time. There are others though who will greatly benefit from the security that a medical alert system in the home provides. There are several groups of people who generally benefit from a medical alert system
1) People over the age of 65 who are living alone. These are the people who will benefit most from a medical alert system. When it comes to issues of the elderly and aging one of the biggest is access to emergency health care in true emergency situations. The shocking truth is that most accidents and falls happen in showers and kitchens where telephones are not always immediately in reach.
2) Senior couples. It is quite possible for an elderly man to injure himself while attempting to help an elderly woman recover from a fall. Then two people are hurt and no one has called for help. A medical alert system allows instant access to help for both of them when falls happen.
3) Young people with certain health conditions. If you need assistance with mobility, preparation, dressing, eating, cooking meals, or showering due to a health or physical condition you are a good candidate for a medical alert system regardless of your age.
4) People who suffer from: stroke, diabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), arthritis, heart failure, and osteoporosis at any age. You may never need a medical alert system but how do you really know?. You never know when it’s going to save your life or the life of someone you love who visits your home.
5) Home caregivers of invalids and infants. Even if you are in excellent health, falls and illnesses happen quickly and can leave you disabled for hours while waiting on help to arrive. If you have a medical alert system, you can call for help instantly and emergency personnel will arrive in a matter of minutes rather than hours to help care for you and the people who depend on you.
Having a medical alert system is similar to having a life insurance policy. You never know when you might need it. The problem is that no one is immune from slips and falls. The elderly are generally at a much greater risk but there are times when even the young can benefit from having a medical alert system.
There are no comments on this entry.
There are no trackbacks on this entry.